My favourite comfort food, especially in winter when it’s cold and grey and miserable, is veggie chili. I have created and adapted my own recipe over the years and got it just how I like it. I thought I would share it so you can enjoy it too. It’s quick and easy and hot and yummy and easy to adapt to suit your tastes or whatever you have in the fridge.
You will need:
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or other cooking oil)
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- Mushrooms, as many as you like
- 1 can black beans (or 1 cup dried, soaked and cooked)
- 1 can kidney beans (or 1 cup dried, soaked and cooked)
- 1 jar passata (or 1 tin chopped tomato if you prefer it chunkier)
- 1 tsp chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- a handful of fresh coriander
- black pepper to taste
- rice to serve
Fry the onion in oil until soft. Add peppers and mushrooms and fry until soft. Add beans, tomato and spices. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
Cook your rice.
Stir coriander into chili just before serving, and season with black pepper. I like to stir the rice into the chili too, but you can serve it on top of the rice, or in a jacket potato, or however you like. Enjoy!